Spring makes me start to crave more salads with fresh, raw veggies, and a Greek salad is one of my favorites. The great thing about salads is that you can add and subtract and increase or decrease ingredients to your liking. I tossed in some red pepper (because, why not?) and put in less cucumber than most people would because it is at the bottom of my favorite vegetable list. We used Applegate deli chicken breast for our salad, but you could substitute other meats, such as grilled chicken or steak, or eat as a side salad meat-free. The vinaigrette is simple – olive oil and red wine vinegar (fresh-squeezed lemon juice would be delicious in place of the vinegar) with a little garlic and seasonings.
Greek Salad with Homemade Vinaigrette
For the vinaigrette:
- 1/2 C extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 C red wine vinegar
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1 t dried oregano
- 1/2 t salt
- 1/4 t black pepper, freshly ground
For the salad:
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
- 1/3 red onion, diced
- 1/2 C pitted Greek olives, sliced (I used a combination of Kalamata and green Greek olives)
- 1 C grape tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cucumber, seeded and chopped
- 3 oz feta cheese, crumbled
- 12 oz chicken breast, cut into slices (I used Applegate organic deli roasted chicken)
- 8 C salad greens (I used red and green leaf lettuce, but feel free to use your favorites. This salad would be great with baby mixed greens or fresh spinach.)
In a jar or bottle (I have this cool dressing bottle), combine all dressing ingredients and seal with a lid. Shake vigorously to combine (you could also whisk together the ingredients in a bowl).
Add the peppers, onions, olives, cucumber and tomatoes to a large bowl (pardon the less-than stellar photos and hot pink bowl!)
Add the cheese, chicken and greens to the bowl. Pour half of the dressing over the salad and toss to coat. Add more dressing as desired (and store the rest in the refrigerator).
There you have it – an easy peasy recipe – great for a weeknight meal when you want to get dinner on the table fast.
This page contains affiliate links. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link, the price you pay will remain the same, but Roudabush Real Food Revolution will automatically receive a small commission. I appreciate your support and your purchase helps to spread the word about the real food revolution. Thank you!